gyp n : a swindle in which you cheat at gambling or persuade a person to buy worthless property [syn: bunco, bunco game, bunko, bunko game, con, confidence trick, confidence game, con game, hustle, sting, flimflam] v : deprive of by deceit; "He swindled me out of my inheritance"; "She defrauded the customers who trusted her"; "the cashier gypped me when he gave me too little change" [syn: victimize, swindle, rook, goldbrick, nobble, diddle, bunco, defraud, scam, mulct, con] [also: gypping, gypped]
- Rhymes with: -ɪp
EtymologyNote that this term may have derived from the word "gypsy", although no direct evidence exists. http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-gyp1.htm
Gyp may mean:
- A cheat or swindle. (See wiktionary definition.)
- A slang, pejorative term referencing Gypsies.
- A female dog before age 1.
- The pen name of Sibylle Gabrielle Marie Antoinette Riqueti de Mirabeau, Comtesse de Martel de Janville.
- A dance figure (English morris dancing) usually a half-gyp or whole-gyp.
- A slang term in the UK and Commonwealth countries referring to something being painful or causing discomfort: "My leg is giving me gyp". May also be spelt Gip or Jip.
- Gyp may refer to the flower Gypsophila, also known as baby's breath.
- A college servant at Cambridge University.
Partlet, Seeing Eye dog, ballot-box stuffing, bandog, beat, beguile of, biddy, bilk, bitch, bossy, bowwow, brood mare, bunco, burn, canine, cardsharping, cheat, cheating, chisel, chouse, chouse out of, cog, cog the dice, con, con man, cow, cozen, cozenage, crib, defraud, defrauder, diddle, diddler, diddling, dishonesty, do, do in, do out of, dodge, doe, dog, double-dealer, euchre, ewe, ewe lamb, fake, fancy dog, filly, finagle, fishy transaction, flam, fleece, flimflam, flimflammer, fob, fraud, fraudulence, fraudulency, fudge, gerrymandering, gouge, graft, grift, guide dog, guinea hen, gull, gyp joint, have, heifer, hen, hind, hoax, hocus, hocus-pocus, humbug, illicit business, imposition, imposture, jenny, kennel, lap dog, lioness, mare, mountebank, mulct, nanny, nanny goat, overreach, pack of dogs, pack the deal, peahen, phony, pigeon, pooch, practice fraud upon, pup, puppy, racket, roe, rook, scam, screw, sell, sell gold bricks, sharper, shave, she-bear, she-goat, she-lion, sheep dog, shortchange, show dog, sled dog, slut, sow, spoof, stack the cards, stick, sting, swindle, take a dive, thimblerig, throw a fight, tigress, toy dog, trickster, victimize, vixen, watchdog, whelp, working dog